Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 17:22:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Nikolai Saoukh <nms@ethereal.ru>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kldloaded driver not called at load time

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Mike Smith wrote:
> This is because the unknown driver is never revoked once it owns your
> device.  It's a(nother) bug in the ISA bus code. 8(

Looking at the code in sys/kern/subr_bus.c I'm not sure how any drivers
are revoked by a higher priority match.

This is probably desirable given the nature of most drivers and one of the
reasons for letting BUS_PROBE_NOMATCH announce your 'unknown' hardware.

If a driver is attached and providing interfaces to the system (network,
scsi, what have you.) then loading a higher priority driver shouldn't
cause that device to detach as it would potentially cause the system to
become confused.

I never liked the unknown driver.  I vote we kill it and let
isa_probe_nomatch() deal with things.  (I'll have to write
isa_probe_nomatch() but I don't see that as a problem.)

Nikolai, your easy fix is to comment out the relevent module declaration
for the 'unknown' driver in isa_common.c.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |