Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 17:11:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      woods@zeus.leitch.com (Greg A. Woods)
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Tunneling

[ On Fri, May 29, 1998 at 17:39:09 (+0200), Philippe Regnauld wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: FreeBSD Tunneling
>
> 	Regarding interoperability:
>
> 	http://www.rsa.com/rsa/SWAN/swan_test.htm

The most interesting and curious thing revealed to even an outsider by
the interoperability reports presented on this page is that
ISAKMP/Oakley just doesn't seem to interoperate.  (Although I'm sure it
must be a mistake the table even claims that major ISAKMP products don't
interoperate with each other....)  Given what I've seen of the
complexity, I've no doubt why early implementations don't interoperate
either.

SKIP, on the other hand, is apparently widely available, and reasonably
widely interoperable.  There are at least two or three SKIP
implementations not mentioned in the table that I know interoperate with
at least Sun's PC SKIP client, and of course with themselves.

One thing I have learned about IPSec in my recent wanderings is that
I've never seen anything so error prone to create and manage and as
difficult to prove correct as "security associations".  What a
brain-dead concept.  At any significant degree of complexity you'd have
to live with a network sniffer plugged into your brain for weeks before
you could give any reasonable degree of assurance that your network was
still safe and secure.  Is anyone out there writing tools (eg. filters
for NFR) that will prove that a given VPN configuration is what it is
supposed to be?

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 443-1734      VE3TCP      <gwoods@acm.org>      <robohack!woods>