Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 17:11:33 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        mattb@finsyn.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld from cd

Matt Bettinger schrieb:

> hello,
>
> I recently cvsupped the necessary files to bring my 4.1 release up to 4.1.1
> STABLE.  I cvsupped with a modem and everything went fine.  (even survived a
> few telephone handle pickups ;-))
>
> everything was sent to /usr/src during the download.  I since burned
> everything in /usr/src to a cdrw just in case something happened and i would
> need to buildworld again.
>
> The time has come and i want to upgrade another computer that isn't
> networked yet.
>
> Can someone please explain the proper procedure to upgrade the other
> computer which is 4.1 release  to 4.1.1 STABLE  from the cd that containes
> the cvsupped STABLE files?

First verify the /usr/src dir on your CDROM against the original tree!

mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0c /cdrom
cd /cdrom/usr/src                             # assuming it sits there
rm -r *                                       # get rid of the old
contents
tar -s cf - . | (cd /usr/src; tar -p xf - )   # copy over

> Can i just cp -r /cdrom/* /usr/src    (on the 4.1 Release computer and then
> build world like that ?  or can i do it some way without copying the files
> over and  buildworld straight from the cd..?

Alternatively, mounting the CD-ROM somewhere (assuming /cdrom/usr/src
contains your image)

mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0c /cdrom
cd /usr
rm -r src                    # kill it's old contents
ln -sf /cdrom/usr/src src    # link the cdrom src directory there

> I tried to cp -r /cdrom/* /usr/src and got alot fo  erros saying something
> about  dates and copy_big ...

Check your CD-ROM. Did you make an ISO filesystem before you burnt
anything? Read "man mkisofs".

HTH
-Christoph Sold