Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:54:12 -0800
From:      "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        "cfliu" <cfliu@csie.nctu.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is recv/sendmsg important for AF_INET only sockets?

> Hi, I am implementing a small BSD socket layer which supports only the =
> AF_INET family. I am wondering whether recvmsg() and sendmsg() calls are =
> required for the INET protocol family. I don't know if I should =
> implemented it or not. I have looked up some open source projects and =
> grepped for recvmsg and sendmsg calls but couldn't find any.   How often =
> do people use recvmsg/sendmsg() calls (also readv()/writev()) in their =
> BSD socket based Internet applications? Is it safe NOT to implement =
> these functions for a INET socket?

These are used by applications that are implemented on top of UDP
and they're very useful.  If I were a consumer of your product I'd be
pretty disappointed if these calls were not there.

Later,
George

--
George V. Neville-Neil                                  gnn@neville-neil.com
NIC:GN82

"Those who would trade liberty for temporary security deserve neither"
						- Benjamin Franklin