Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 20:35:30 +1000 (EST)
From:      robert@chalmers.com.au (Robert Chalmers)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (bsd)
Subject:   routing problem I think? help please

Hi,

I have a bit of a fundamental problem I think in understanding whats
happening here.

I have a router (Ascend 50) connedted by ISDN to the local ISP. Over this is
piped the college traffic. The network works fine, and is rock solid. It
operates on its own C class network.

Now, I ran up FreeBSD on a small PC, just to fiddle about, and installed
it as a different C class. One of our valid networks, so there is no
problem there. It is connected to the network that carries the traffic
for the rest of the net out through the router.

                              ............existing network, works fine....
........internet...[router]../\
                                \.........the temporary box, different C class.

So, when I start up the baby freebsd, it returns the error message at the
network startup, IP Address already in use by 00:xx.xx.xx.xx  (ether card
number). The number returned is that of the router !!!!  It's telling
me that the router is using the baby-pc's ip address, when of course it
isn't. It's using its own, and an entirely different C class at that.

Naturally it then doesn't want to do much.

hmmm. I know there are all sorts of reasons why I can't actually do this,
but why is the Ascend-50 telling me it is using the pc's IP?

Does anyone have any ideas I can use.

thanks
Bob

--
The China House.
Advertise, or there's a good chance the sheriff will do it for you. P.T Barnum.