Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2002 21:11:10 -0400
From:      abe <abe@informationwave.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fatal trap 12, system crashes

Hello,

    I've got a rather odd issue, but not unique from what I've seen on othe=
r threads (whose solutions unfortunately did not work).  I have had a machi=
ne running in a datacenter for 7 months if not more without problems, and 1=
.5 years prior to that without problems as well.  The other night, suddenly=
 the machine rebooted and came back up with a panic.  This happened immedia=
tely after rc.firewall was run it appeared.  I spent about 4 hours in the d=
atacenter trying to diagnose the issue and had no luck so brought the machi=
ne home with me that night.  I've been working on it for about a week now t=
rying various methods of troubleshooting and haven't had any luck.  I also =
tried to get a backtrace but that's not turning out so well either.  It see=
ms even with a debugging kernel and the correct options set in rc.conf for =
dumpdev and savecore it will produce no usable output, if any.  /var/crash =
is empty aside from 'minfree'.  With all of that said, as it may be obvious=
 already this message is going to be a bit lengthy as I am going to try to =
provide as much detail as possible considering the lack of a backtrace.  I =
have tried several hardware configurations, including brand new hardware.  =
Two different CPUs (AMD thunderbird 700 and 750mhz), 7 different memory mod=
ules all tested via memtest with 12 iterations at least with no errors, 4 d=
ifferent network cards: 3com 3905b/c, dlink (rtl8129), and a netgear.  I ha=
ve used an abit kt7-raid, asus a7a 266, and another abit board.  I have use=
d 4 different hard disks, 2 western digitals, both brand new, and 2 maxtors=
, fairly new.  I have also swapped out power supplies, cables, network equi=
pment (switch, direct via crossover), etc.  That's an idea of what I've don=
e thus far with hardware, and to sum that up we can think of the hardware c=
ollectively as three different machines.  As far as installation media goes=
, I've tried via FTP and cdrom.  The systems I've used, are 4.5-RELEASE, 4.=
5-RELEASE-p20, 4.6.2-p2.  I've reinstalled several times attempting to spot=
 an error in installation or my methods.  I've changed my rules for IPFW to=
 very primitive ones to test, and had no luck.  The minute after loading th=
em, and then attempting to communicate with any type of network service, th=
e machine panics. I have a video which is approximately 2 megs in size, and=
 a photo of the error and it occuring.  The video is at http://dipole.infor=
mationwave.net/~abe/crash.mpg, and the photo is http://dipole.informationwa=
ve.net/~abe/fbsd.jpg.  If anyone has any ideas as to what could be causing =
this, or a solution, that'd be great.  Also any other information that woul=
d assist in solving this issue that I haven't already provided will be give=
n if requested.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

Abe =20