Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 02:12:15 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "spock80" <spock80@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: having problems installing 4.2 from ISO D/L...

Sounds to me like the ISO image hasn't been burned to the
CD correctly. The information on doing that isn't as clear as
I'd like it to be. The only reliable way I'm aware of  to do it
involves Adaptec Ezy-CD .... because it has a clearly marked
menu item "Create CD from disc image".  There are options for
"cif" & "iso", but its no more complicated than that.

If you have Win2K its best to get Ezy-CD version 4 or later
because there are some issues with 3.x.. (workarounds are
available, but why make life more complicated than necessary??)
The base version was provided with many CD burners with an
upgrade to "deluxe" available at whatever cost (don't bother, it
doesn't do anything special anyway) I got my copy free off the
net someplace (its about 400Mb though)

There have been several discussions of this issue in the past ... some
people claim other Windows CD copy applications will do the job,
but to date I haven't seen any halfway explicit information. Its also
supposed to be possible to do this in unix / linux, probably not
relevant to your situation however.