Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 17:51:57 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer fiascos.

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     When the new parallel port stuff was put several months ago, my
>     machine stopped working.  I had to set flags to 0x40 to make it
>     work again.  Flags of 0x40 force the driver to use the most
>     basic probes possible.  It was put in because a number of people's
>     machines stopped working.
>
>     It looks like Peter removed the flags 0x40 in rev 1.228 of GENERIC
>     on Jan 14.
>
>     At the time I had an argument with the author who insisted that
>     the correct way to force 'basic' probing of the printer was to
>     set the flags field in GENERIC rather then make the default a basic
>     probe.
>
> *   Peter, the comment in your log message makes no mention of the reason
> *   for removing the flags.  If you did this by accident could you please
> *   set the flags back to 0x40?

The reason I did that was because flags 0x40 only does something if you
activate the PPC_PROBE_CHIPSET option.  By default you get flags 0x40
type behavior and the intrusive probes are simply not even compiled into
the driver.  If you activate the option, then you can also specify
flags 0x40 to disable the code you compiled in.  In other words, GENERIC
does not require the flag any more as it doesn't have the option active.

#ifdef PPC_PROBE_CHIPSET
        /* we have to differenciate available chipset modes,
         * chipset running modes and IEEE-1284 operating modes
         *
         * after detection, the port must support running in compatible mode
         */
        if (ppc->ppc_flags & 0x40) {
                if (bootverbose)
                        printf("ppc: chipset forced to generic\n");
#endif

Cheers,
-Peter