Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 14:26:13 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall DOESN'T ASK, dangerous defaults!

In message <20000922161545.G34501@jade.chc-chimes.com> Bill Fumerola writes:
: rlogin/rsh aren't always insecure. people's usage of them often are.

When are they secure?  The only case I can think of is when they are
used on an isolated network that isn't connected to the outside world
and all the users on that isolated network are trusted.  Seems like a
very limited subset of FreeBSD users in general.

The company I currently work for (Timing Solutions) does have systems
that we deploy into isolated netowkrs like this, and we find it
desirable to have these protocols available, but would accept them
being disabled by default.

Warner