Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 08:18:10 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates panics

On Sep 26,  1:00pm, Ollivier Robert wrote:
} According to Kevin Street:
} > added `noatime' to two of my heavily used softupdates slices in
}
} noatime with SU is a known Bad Thing[tm].

I hadn't heard this.  I don't know why that would be true.

} We should probably refuse to use
} bth at the same time. noatime seems to be unnecessary with SU anyway.

If you are reading lots of files and writing lots of files on the same
disk, it would seem to improve performance if you avoiding writing back
the inodes of files that had only been read.  If you are only reading
files on the filesystem, I don't see where softupdates buys you any
performance increase, whereas noatime does.