Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:43:34 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, dhorn2000@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Dynamic loading of network kernel modules?

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> David Horn wrote:
>  > Oliver Fromme wrote:
>  > >
>  > >  network_interfaces="bge0 lo0"
>  >
>  > Ah.  Ok, now I am understanding your scenario.
>  >
>  > I thought that using 'network_interfaces' with anything other than
>  > "AUTO"  was in the process of being depreciated ?
>
> Well, the manual page says so, but I think that is a
> mistake.  There are cases where you have to specify the
> list of interfaces explicitly.  The situation described
> in this thread is one such case.
>
> My opinion is that it is good to have the ability to let
> things be done automatically, but it is bad to remove the
> ability to do things manually.  This is UNIX, after all.

I personally hate the auto-magic-loading of modules that ifconfig does.
Remember that we tried to yank it once before but had to bring it back
for compatibility.

If one argues that ifconfig should be consistent in it's treatment of
module loading then the patch is fine and should go in.  Otherwise...

    Sam