Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:06:42 -0800
From:      "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Stable" <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Possible Security Vulnerability

Will,

I am afraid that I have to respectfully disagree with your sweeping
statement that a DoS is not a security vulnerability and that a Security
Vulnerability is defined as an elevation of privilege. A vulnerability is
defined as 'anything that can be exploited to an advantage' and a Security
Vulnerability is one that relates directly to the security and/or integrity
of the system, in particular one that breaks the three 'A's -
Authentication, Authorization, and Audit/Accountability. If a machine is
used as a logging server (for syslog perhaps) and you could crash it prior
to attempting an attack on another machine then yes, this is a security
issue. Any DoS can be interpreted as a security issue depending on the
environment and circumstances, and a standard Risk Assessment would identify
it as such.

However, you are 100% right that we do not have enough information to act
further here. Perhaps the problem is an exhaustation of resources. Jonathon,
please supply more information about the environment in which this occurred.
And yes, this is probably better in another newsgroup and not -security.

Regards,

john...