Date:      Sat, 3 May 2003 17:07:39 +0100
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        FreeBSD questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How do i redirect tty output?

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 07:16:34AM +0000, Mack Lobell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want ro run the command "portupgrade -aF" in the background, but i always
> end up in suspended state. I have tried different redirect operators but no
> luck. Currently i'm using tcsh.
>
> example:
> prompt# portupgrade -aF >& /dev/null &
Have a go with:
prompt# (nohup portupgrade -aF >& /dev/null) &

I think this should work (although you might need to enclose the
trailing '&' inside the brackets as well).  Also you might not even need
the 'nohup' here because effectively the command is running in it's own
'forked' environment (though I may be wrong:).

Have a play, try starting something less volatile than portupgrade
(sleep 100 for example?), logging out, logging back in and seeing if
it's still running.

Good luck,
Jez