Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Tony Kimball <Anthony.Kimball@East.Sun.COM>
Cc:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net, toj@gorilla.net, freebsd-hardware@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: supermicro p6sns/p6sas

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Tony Kimball wrote:

> : I'm little dubious about how well AMD
> : can make it work.  K6, due to bugs, was unable to run FreeBSD reliably up
> : until a few weeks ago (see archives about which stepping are known to
> : work, and which are not).
>
> And we all know that Intel has had no major Pentium or PPro bugs?

  Nothing that affected FreeBSD anyhow, and FreeBSD uses a wide variety of
features.

> (BIG smiley face on that one.)  Frankly I don't see any reasonable
> argument to the effect that AMD or Cyrix are less technically
> competent than Intel -- quite the contrary, given track records (and
> the fact that the AMD/Cyrix task is much more difficult than the
> Intel task).

  Intel's real competition is not AMD and Cyrix, but DEC, Sparc (Sun),
MIPS (SGI), and Motorola/IBM.

> :   Also, you can use socket 8 processors in a slot 1 with an adapter.
>
> Where can I learn about this?

  I'm not sure.  I've seen pictures of it, and the PII motherboards I've
seen have instructions for installing and using the socket 8 -> slot 1
adapter.

Tom