Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:44:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Security Alerts

Hi,

I've been reading bugtraq more often that this list (2500 messages in this
box..) and following a few FBSD exploits there (/etc/security / fts, the
mbuf DoS) and also a few where it's unclear as to whether FBSD is affected
(libtermcap, wu-ftpd, proftpd).

So what I'm wondering is whether the project is in need of someone to
digest, discuss, and regurgitate some of these things into security
advisories.  I personally can appreciate the fact that an ordinary user or
admin might not be able to follow every bug that comes up on bugtraq or on
this list, and the idea of a central repository on the FreeBSD webpage
that is kept up to date and includes third-party software (esp. if it's in
common use, like wu) seems like a good one.

So I'm volunteering to write this stuff up, all I need is the go-ahead
from someone...

Charles

---
Charles Sprickman
spork@super-g.com
---
                     "...there's no idea that's so good you can't
                      ruin it with a few well-placed idiots."