Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2003 19:40:15 -0800
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Disk migration question.

Hey there -

I'm moving a disk drive from a 4.7 system to a 5.0 system in a
different computer.  There are two slices on the disk, a swap partition
and a large data slice.  When I mount the disk into the filesystem, I
receive the following error:

/var/backups: correcting fs_sblockloc from 65536 to 8192

I presume this is because the BIOS is presenting the disk translation
differently.  Running fdisk on the device gives the following info now:

******* Working on device /dev/ad2 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=159560 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=159560 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

whereas before it was:

******* Working on device /dev/ad1 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=10011 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=10011 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Apart from the error message, the slice seems to mount fine and the
data is intact.

My question is, how significant is that message, and is this something
that needs to be fixed?
If so, is there a non-destructive process like reinitializing the disk
label, or do I need to wipe the drive and reformat?

TIA.

KeS