Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 17:05:07 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, terry@lambert.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gzipped executables

> > > If this is the case, why did it used to work on Pentium processors?
> >
> > It also ignores the fact that it also fails on my 486/DX2.. :-)
>
> Sorry, just to clarify what I meant here since I can see how Terry
> would read the above and say "say what?!  I was saying that it only
> failed on *Pentium* processors due to their differing cache
> architecture!  I never said *anything* about the 486!"  I expressed my
> point poorly.

Nevertheless, I understood your intent.  No clarification was needed.

> What I *meant* to say was that it used to work on all the Intel
> processor types then began failing on all of them at the same time,
> from the 486 to the Pentium.  This doesn't lead me to believe that the
> failure is related to any particular processor or cache architecture
> so much as it is a simple bug which has crept in and whacked the gzip
> emulator.

And all I was saying is that dumping the cache queue makes it work
again, regardless of *why* this happens, it *does* happen, and can
be used by the original poster as a "fix".

I took the care I did in puting forth my working hypothesis because
I think it would be stupid to integrate the cache queue dumping as
"*the* fix".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---