Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 12:12:05 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        Courtney Thomas <ccthomas@flash.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rsync vis-a-vis dump.......

Yeah... having the same concerns... been looking at Vinum-mirror, but it
doesn't do the whole disk and root would have to be backed up separately.
Really need a fast backup/sync program that will make an exact image
(carbon copy, Greg!) to another hard disk.

Tar is a partial answer too... I hear dump takes a very long time and while
it may be good to use tape, which is really slow on large HDs, it would be
nice to have a fast method of duplicating the first ro HD2, so if HD1 goes
down, one could just switch the BIOS to boot to HD2 and keep going with
just the time needed to reboot....

Am I missing another alternative too.... besides tape for a complete
image..???

At 12:11 PM 1.13.2002 -0500, Courtney Thomas wrote:
>Greetings !
>
>What is the difference between the methods these programs use ?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Courtney

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"