Date:      Sat, 01 Apr 2000 12:55:05 -0800
From:      Terry D <terryd@corecomm.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   svga?

Hello,
 Ok here is one for ya. I finally got bsd installed but when it went to
startx I got this set of error mssgs:
                                           begin error mssg
(--)svga yadda yadda
(--)svga "    "
(--)svga  "    "
(--)svga  chipset :ati
(**)svga videoram :8192k
(--)svga using 8bpp , depth 8, color weight:666
(--)svga maximum allowed dot clock: 230.000mhz
(--)svga there is no mode definition named "604 x 800"
(--)svga removing mode "640 x 800" from list of valid modes
(--)svga there is no mode definition named ""320 x 240"

fatal server error:
No valid modes found

X connection to : 0.0 broken (explicit kill or sever shutdown)
                                          end error mssg

I went into the xconfig , full graphical mode and into monitors and set
600x 600  (which runs under linux and win98) and color depth to 32 (
which also runs under both) and when pressing done it starts to go to X
but then freezes system. So I use the alt-ctrl-backspace then go back to
xconfig and set default and  I get the error mssg up top.
 My monitor is a little older but has no problem running svga 800x 600
and higher anywhere else. My graphics card is :RageIIc agp, ati
tech-enhanced,mach 64gt, ver 5.30-cd5

 What do you suggest I do to get X working?
Also I had to copy install cd to c\freebsd and install from dos because
unix also doesnt recognize my atapi cd? So how can I configure after Im
up and running so I can install packages and kde desktop?

Thanks for your help!
Terry