Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 17:55:35 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Files with nonexistent groups

At 03:17 PM 4/10/98 -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:

>That GID 6 is missing is odd though. GID 6 is the mail group, which is a
>group that is installed by default.

It's possible that this wasn't so in an earlier version of FreeBSD, and
the old /etc/group file was "inherited."

I checked a more recent system, and discovered that group 68 is "dialer".
Oddly, when I did an ls -al, some of the devnodes for serial devices
said "uucp dialer" for owner and group, respectively, while others said
"uucp 68". Weird.

--Brett