Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 19:54:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      nwestfal@indigo.csci.csusb.edu (Neal Westfall)
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        ports@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/distfiles - did I screw the pooch here?

> It's beginning to occur to me that I kind of screwed up with the whole
> /usr/ports/distfiles idea.  It shouldn't be a directory, it should be
> a PATH!  Each element in the path should be scanned for R/W access
> (assuming it even exists) and put into a list so that the following
> behavior is exhibited:

Also, would it be too much to change the location of the distfiles so
that it isn't mixed in with the rest of the stuff?  This would make it
easier for people (like me!) who want to grab the entire ports tree but
not necessarily all the distfiles.  Currently the only way to do this
on wcarchive.cdrom.com or freefall.cdrom.com is to grab all the different
subtrees separately.  Those that have cdroms will already have most of the
distribution tarballs and may just want to grab the latest port fixes.

If this is out of line pay it no mind!

Neal