Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 2014 22:31:18 +0200
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSL end of life

On 11.06.2014 15:56, Dan Lukes wrote:
> On 06/11/14 15:00, Ben Laurie:
>>> What about ongoing FreeBSD 9.3 release ? According tradition,
>>> it's EOL should occur two years past release. But what we will
>>> do if embedded version of OpenSSL become unsupported just this
>>> winter ?
>>
>> I don't know - for a start, just because the OpenSSL team don't
>> support it, that doesn't mean others can't backport fixes.
>
> Sorry, I missed this. Yes, it's solution as well.
>
> I'm familiar with it. I'm backporting newest FreeBSD's SA and EN
> into FreeBSD 8.3-R despite it's declared EOL.
>
> But such approach has big "marketing" drawback. If there are
> published announcements like OpenSSL version a.b.c is obsolete,
> unsupported, unsafe and dangerous, then it's hard to offer a system
> based on it, despite promises that YOURS particular incarnation of
> openssl a.b.c is patched and safe.

How many libs/binaries in contrib (and even in the rest of base) of
9.x are eol or unsupported or whatever by their upstreams? So why
should openssl not be one them? Take the
outdated/unsupported/eol/whatever versions of openssh or zfs shipping
with 9.x, which could lead to unsecure logins or dataloss/corruption
because they are "eol"...

If you're a vendor using freebsd (or any software in general) then you
have to continously (sp?) follow the respective upstream and regularly
ship updates/upgrades to your products/customers. If this means that
you've to upgrade from 9.x to 10.x then do it now and not when it's
too late. Nothing bothers me as an user more, than vendors not doing
their work to deliver updates and upgrades asap.

Even embedded devices can be upgraded, so don't try this argument. And
even if that's realy not possible, then that device has to be replaced
completly.

Sorry, but i heard/read this kind of discussion since two decades now
and nothing changed. That "Never change a running system" thing has
always been wrong and today it's the worstest case of all.

So, don't care about "marketing drawbacks", just do your job and
provide up-to-date products and updates/upgrades.
Release/Update early and often, not (too) late and fewer/never...

FreeBSD is a rolling release, so the "relaeses" are in reality only
simple snapshots of the codebase, not more and not less. Some parts
roll faster than light while others need decades per bit.

OK enough off-topic.

I'm fine with two years (IMHO one year would be even better, aren't we
in the post-Snowden era where crypto will be reinvented fast?)

- --
Kind Regards,                             Mit freundlichen GrĂ¼ssen,
Markus Kohlmeyer                                   Markus Kohlmeyer

PGP: 0xEBDF5E55 / 2A22 1F71 AA70 1AD1 231B 0178 759F 407C EBDF 5E55