Date:      Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:45:42 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Josh Brooks <user@mail.econolodgetulsa.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question regarding quotas

In the last episode (Jun 28), Josh Brooks said:
> I have a group of 5 users that I want to set up quotas for - their home
> directories are:
>
> /export/data1/user1
> /export/data1/user2
> /export/data1/user3
> /export/data1/user4
> /export/data1/user5
>
> And they will be given free reign to fill up those directories
> however they choose.
>
> At the same time, there will be a fair number of automated processes
> on the system that place files and directories and logs and other
> files into their home directories.  So, as time goes by, not only
> will the users themselves fill up their dirs, but other processes on
> the system will fill up their dirs.  These files and dirs that are
> created by these other processes will be owned by various usernames -
> bind, www, root - and have different groups set to them as well.
>
> My question is, will the extra files and dirs that get placed in
> their home dir by all these automated processes count towards their
> quota ?  If not, is there a way to set up quotas so that _they do_ ?

Quotas are per-user, not per-directory.  Any files those users create,
anywhere in that filesystem, will contribute to their quota.  Files
created by other userids but placed in those directories will count
against the other user's quota.

Basically what happens with per-directory quotas is that the users
learn not to put files in their homedir :)  They end up finding
someplace that they can write to outside their homedir and put files
there instead.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com