Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 14:45:47 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        rpt@miles.sso.wdl.lmco.comm (Richard Toren)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SAMBA and DOS file systems

Richard Toren wrote:

> SAMBA seems to have really picked up as a topic these last couple of weeks.
>
> My question concerns the file systems that SAMBA uses to support the
> remote requests. This machine is used for both FBSD and WFWG 3.11. I am
> planning to use SAMBA as a file server for the WFWG files stored in the
> DOS partitions, and used on another WFWG machine.
>
> I have been following (over the last year) the saga of the fitness of
> using the DOS FS. Some people seem to have a disaster, and others say it
> works just fine. In my case I have 3 DOS partitions (1 primary and 2
> extended) of 250 Mb each.
>
> Is SAMBA safe with DOS partitions? Should the FreeBSD partitions be the
> only ones used?
>
> Any experiences are guidelines would be appreciated....

I can't comment about SAMBA, but the following is reasonably
definitive regarding the state of the msdosfs itself:

   * Use of the msdosfs to access certain DOS partitions may cause
     corruption to a non-DOS partition not necessarily on the same
     drive.

   * The msdosfs code permits numerous race conditions and deadlocks,
     and also has major bugs at a more fundamental level (messing
     up when moving/renaming directories, as one example).

Corruption to non-DOS partitions typically occurs in the case of
64-head IDE drives accessing large DOS partitions with 64-sector
cluster sizes.  From data I have gathered, use of FIPS is _not_ a
necessary or sufficient condition for this.  Apparently /dev/wd
is.

A while ago, I spent a couple of days investigating the corruption
problem.  However I have only four different non-SCSI drives here,
and was unable to corrupt any of them.  As I was lacking an
EIDE/translating controller at the time, I didn't pursue this.

The non-DOS partition corruption problem is a system configuration
issue and is avoidable, with planning.  Avoid it, and the msdosfs
is perfectly usable for simple data transfers (one user copying
individual files to and from a DOS filesystem).  If you value your
data, I'd say the msdosfs is pretty much _unusable_ for anything
more complex.

--
Robert Nordier