Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:52:07 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Thomas Vestergaard" <veedub@post6.tele.dk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcmcia problems.

Thomas,

First, I use FreeBSD on my laptop and desktop (as well as some
servers) and I'm quite happy with it for all of these. Linux does have
some advantages, though. PC-card support is certainly one of
these. But I prefer FreeBSD overall by a fairly wide margin and
PC-card support should be MUCH better in V5. (It's being totally
re-written.)

If it means anything, I regularly attend North American Network
Operators meetings. The attendees are typically network engineers from
many of the larger network providers around the world. (Yes, I know
Nor5th American implies a less international group, but it's open to
all.) FreeBSD is run by a LARGE percentage of those in attendance on
their laptops. Probably second to Windows.

To fix the problem of the card not configuring in time, add the
line:
pccardd_flags="-z"        # Additional flags for pccardd.
to your /etc/rc.conf file. But wait until you get it working before
doing this.

First, you must add the line:
pccard_enable="YES"      # Set to YES if you want to configure PCCARD devices.
to /etc/rc.conf. Without that, pccards won't ever configure.

The most common problem with PC-cards in FreeBSD is IRQ selection. The
file /etc/defaults/pccard.con has a line hear the top that lists
available IRQs. It's almost alway wrong.

Create the file /etc/pccard.conf and copy that line into it. Then edit
it to show only those IRQs that are really free on your system. You
can use "dmesg | grep irq" to get an idea what is in use. Never use 2.

My file contains:
irq	7 8 9
The defaults of 3 and 5 are almost always taken.

You should get a message that the card as been inserted followed in a
few seconds with a message containing the name of the card. After a
few more seconds it should be ready to go. (This is somewhat dependent
on whether you use DHCP.)

Hopefully this will get you running. If not, send back more
information. I use a Xircom and am quite happy with it.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)