Date:      Sun, 22 Jul 2001 19:16:25 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        Howard Picken <howard@tasbusiness.net.au>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Repost: Internet Print Protocol

Howard Picken wrote:

> Senario
>
> Win2K Server as internal network server with printers on it
> that are Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) enabled.
>
> Domain and mail hosted in house on FreeBSD box
> acting as firewall etc set not allow access to IP's
> under .10
>
> Has anyone tried to setup or has done IPP by passing info through
> the BSD box to the W2K Servers etc.
>
> I don't know much about FreeBSD as I've inherited looking
> after the box but I'm slowly learning.

Ahem ...
First off, are you passing info at the TCP/IP layer, or through the
application layer? If at the IP layer, it's simply a matter of making
sure your firewall is configured to allow access to the correct ports.
If you want to print from FreeBSD to W2K or vis-versa, look into
the samba suite. It's in the ports and allows a lot of communication
between SMB-based systems (W2K, for example) and UNIX systems (FreeBSD
included)

-Bill

--
It may be that true happiness is nothing more than the ability to *always*
know the right thing to say at the right time,  whereas true misery is the