Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2008 07:43:02 -0500
From:      "Scot Hetzel" <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        gerard@seibercom.net
Cc:        mich@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building 'gvfs'

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 6:12 AM, Gerard <gerard@seibercom.net> wrote:
> FreeBSD-6.3
>
> I have attempted to update to 'gvfs-0.2.3_2'. I have not modified the configuration file in any way. In fact, I even ran 'make rmconfig' to insure that it was not affecting the build. However, the update continually fails. 'gvfs' claims it wants 'cdio_paranoia.0' installed.
>
> I have 'libcdio-0.78.2_1' installed with the basic configuration file. I was forced to modify the configuration file, check 'PARANOIA', and rebuild the port in order to get 'gvfs' to build.
>
> This does not seem correct. I suppose that I could have also modified the 'gvfs' configuration file; however, neither should be required to do a basic port installation. I believe the 'gvfs' port should be modified.
>
> Am I overlooking something here?

By default sysutils/libcdio has PARANOIA enabled.  Looks like you had
installed sysutils/libcdio without PARANOIA enabled, and then tried to
install devel/gvfs with CDDA enabled.  Which required PARANOIA to be
enabled in sysutils/libcdio.

The ports system isn't smart enough to know PARANOIA needed to be
enabled in sysutils/libcdio, inorder to build devel/gvfs with CDDA
enabled.

One possible solution is to add the following to devel/gvfs/Makefile:

OPTION_DEPEND= devel/libcdio:WITH_PARANOIA

and then have bsd.ports.mk check if WITH_PARANOIA is enabled, if not
enabled give a warning to rebuild the devel/libcdio port with PARANOIA
enabled.

Scot