Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 09:41:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      <keith@mail.telestream.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sysistall

Is there some reason that sysinstall won't allow my drives to be
installed?
It's a 30 Gig raid-0 all as one large volume. I go into the slice editor,
create a slice. Write it and it writes to disk just fine. Then I go into
the disklabel editor and create it as a single partition. Write it to disk
and it tells me it can't. I switch to another term to see the syslog error
output and it says " invalid major/minor for dev type - ".
The OS drive is running fine, just can't get anything else to run. This is
on a DPT 3334UW with seagate drives.  The odd thing is that if I just
backout of sysinstall and rerun the disklabel editor, it errors to the
other tty's but does create the file system and works fine for about 2
days before losing the entire file system.  I'd love to hear some idea's
on this. Possibly one of the kernel options for DPT? Maybe bus frequency
on the DPT? Running out of options to look at as a cause.
BTW. It does this regardless of the array type, -5 does the same as the
-0.
Thanks for any and all comments.

Keith