Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:59:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: messed up terminal from 3.4->4.x

Kris Kirby wrote to questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I'm getting inverted video everytime I go from a 3.4-R (the only 3.x

"go from" = telnet/rlogin/rsh/ssh/etc?

> vintage I have) to a 4.x box. It's rather annoying, since it's not
> entirely consistant; some things are really reverse video, others are
> just all "black on white" where there is text and black otherwise.

Offhand, it sounds like your terminal emulation is not correct. Are you
connecting from the console (text mode) or from some X terminal (eg
xterm)? Once you're logged in to the target machine, type "echo $TERM" to
see what your terminal type is set to.

On the other hand, I have a 3.5-STABLE box and frequently login to 4.x
boxes with it, and have not had the problem you describe... but then
again, I have no idea what you've "customized" on your 3.x box :-)

If you're logging in from the console, you shouldn't have any problems. If
you're using X, though, depending on your terminal program and settings,
the emulation may not mesh exactly and you may have to set a different
TERM type.

> Any ideas?

Change your TERM.

- Ryan

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon