Date:      10 Oct 2002 11:45:29 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Serban Mihai <mihais@ravantivirus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Directory structure for commercial products

Be sure to consider the "Notes" section of the hier(7) manual.

If at all possible, make provisions for installers who don't want to
install things the standard way or, since it's so sketchy, your
interpretation of the standard way.  Some variable definitions at the
top of an installation script, if nothing else.

(The standard way almost always requires me to run your installation
software as "root" and I have bad feelings for software producers who
"force" me to take that security risk.)