Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 13:48:57 -0500
From:      "USER" <kib@mediaone.net>
To:        "Mike Semcheski" <jimmyjump77@hotmail.com>, <FreeBSD@hm.homeip.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: natd failed to write packet back

I have a similar problem but this is affecting my clients.  It seems if a
laptop stays connected longer than the default lease time I get the
following message
natd[89]: failed to write packet back (Host is down)

and it repeats sometimes several hundred times an minute.

On the client side the laptop in question loses all IP connectivity but
winipcfg reports a valid lease with up to 8 hours remaining in the lease.
Release/Renew within the client machine resolve this trouble and often the
same IP is reissued.

I checked /var/log/security and it seems to be completely empty.  Is logging
to security disabled or is it possible for there to be no messages in a case
like this.

I asked this question several times in the past without response.  Maybe now
since the topic is back up someone can help.