Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 1995 20:11:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Duane Ellison <duane@gargamel.ptw.com>
To:        David Brockus <dbrockus@cyberhall.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User Admin. Questions

On Tue, 19 Sep 1995, David Brockus wrote:

> mail.  Is there a way to allow users to login and use PINE, for example,
> and not allow them to telnet out, ftp out, or any other commands besides those
> associated with sending and receiving mail?

I have not done this yet, but it is on my list of stuff to do.  I am
planning on either grabbing one of the menuing
(ftp:ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming) or writing something in perl
to do that.  I know that really isn't a great answer, but maybe it will
give you something to look into.

> Is there any way of making the only directory a user can see is his or
> her home directory?

You can play with the permissions but getting too crazy could be a little
dangerous.  If you stick with the default usage of adduser by using
different groups for each user you would have more control over that, if
you are worried about someone else looking into another users home
directory.  Someone else will probably have better information for you.

	---  Duane
       Duane Ellison                         duane@gargamel.ptw.com
       Edwards, California               http://gargamel.ptw.com/~duane