Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2006 15:59:23 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <frans-jan@van-steenbeek.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound in multiple Linux progs

Quoting "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <frans-jan@van-steenbeek.net> (Tue, 13
Jun 2006 19:18:06 +0200):

> Op dinsdag 13 juni 2006 16:59, schreef Alexander Leidinger:
> > Quoting "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <frans-jan@van-steenbeek.net> (from

> > > be that much of a hassle to let the linux progs behave the same,
> > > regarding to devices. So: is there a solution, and if yes: what is it?
> >
> > I hope the solution is as easy as to tell you about vchans: Chapter
> > "7.2.3 Utilizing Multiple Sound Sources" at
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html
>
> Tried that, with hw.snd.maxautovchans as well as with hw.snd.pcm0.vchans.
> Didn't work. With both on 0 every FreeBSD binary behaves fine.

And with one of them at ... let's say 4? Did you make sure that nothing
had the soundsystem open at the time of issuing the sysctl (e.g. artsd
or esd not running)? Are you able to play more than one soundstream at
the same time with FreeBSD native programs? Which FreeBSD version are
we talking about ATM?

> On the soundsystem: what exactly is the difference between say dsp0.0 and
> dsp0.1? (No, changing settings in Linux progs to these devices doesn't work.
> It still appears to look for /dev/dsp)

It allows to use specific sound channels, but the channels are not
fixed, you get a random one... so just use /dev/dsp (or dsp0 fir the
first soundcard and dsp1 for the second...).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Selling GoodYear Eagle F1 235/40ZR18, 2x 4mm + 2x 5mm, ~130 EUR
you have to pick it up between Germany/Saarland and Luxembourg/Capellen