Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 13:26:18 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4mm tape drive question

} > Gary Kline writes:
} > >
} > > 	When I bought my 4mm tape drive in '95, 2GB was a _lot_
} > > 	of storage; but since I've just added a 9G drive to
} > > 	my main system, it's time to consider the backups.
} > >
} > > 	My question:  can I use a cassette   larger than  90meter
} > > 	ones I've been using?  (And why?)
}
} 	I had the box custom built and have prob'ly lost the docs
} 	after 40+ months, so I'm betting that the 4mm was the cheapest
} 	(even at $550) that the place could use.
}
} 	As for gzip, I've used it (unnecessarily) and recovered everything
} 	succesfully.

Out of curiosity, did it help any?  If your drive can do hardware compression,
that may work out better; often that helps keep the tape streaming if nothing
else, and results in better tape usage.

} 	I need to buy a second tape drive (4mm or 8mm) for sage and
} 	tar | dd across my net.  ...The good news, of course, is that
} 	I'm never (?!) going to have 11G of data to backup.

You'd have to be a slow learner to believe that :)  You said yourself
that just 4 years ago, 2G was "a _lot_" of storage, and you've since
bought a 9G drive.  I'm confident that your storage needs will continue
to increase, possibly even at an increased rate.  With the continued
improvement of processing power, data sets are getting larger, and so
are applications.  That trend is unlikely to reverse (or even to slow
appreciably).

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com