Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:02:42 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Conrado Vardanega <cvspam@ig.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad blocks

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 03:16:32PM -0300, Conrado Vardanega wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> My hard disk had one or some bad blocks today. The following line appears in
> /var/log/messages when trying to read from the defective area.
>
> Apr  2 18:54:20 rock /kernel: ad2s1e: hard error reading fsbn 2917127 of
> 1458496-1458735 (ad2s1 bn 2917127; cn 181 tn 148 sn 38) status=59 error=40
>
> My questions are:
>
>   -- how do I check for bad blocks on my disk? (Better if doesn't requires
> to shutdown or format partitions/disks)

You look for messages like the one you quote. (Such a message might of
course be due to a bad cable or a bad controller instead, but if it is
always the same block(s) indicated then it is probably the disk.)

>   -- what's the actually best way to mark bad blocks unusable? I've read
> something about bad144 but it seems to be obsolete in 4.0 line. Should I use
> manufacturers utility to mark them? Should I create brand new partitions
> after that or can I just keep data there?

You don't.  Modern disks automatically detect bad blocks themselves and
transparently remap them. They have some extra blocks in reserve just
for that.  By the time bad blocks start to show up at the OS level this
usually means that the disk is in fairly bad shape and should probably
be backed up and replaced ASAP.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson