Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 18:39:30 +0000
From:      Moses Backman III <penguinjedi@home.com>
To:        Quetstions FreeBSD <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ip aliasing

let me begin by saying i am somewhat familiar w/BSD, but i am no guru.  i
have accomplished the basic
things i want to learn : user & group management, text editors, cvs,
compiling and upgrading.  and now i
am trying to figure out ip aliasing.

i have 2 nics in my 4.2-R machine one is an SMC 1211 (rl0) and a 3com 905
(xl0) the 3com is my
internal nic and the 1211 gets me out through a cable modem.  my hub feeds
only the 3com, the 1211 is
direct to the modem.

i am able to ping my BSD from my laptop 192.168.0.1  from 192.168.0.2 and
vice-versa.  i have made sure
that natd starts.  i have added the following...

to /etc/rc.conf

gateway_enable="YES"
defaultrouter=(my isp's preassigned gateway for me)
natd_enable="YES"
natd_interface="rl0"
firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="simple"

*note - i have set my ip statically

to /etc/rc.firewall

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via rl0
/sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any

i have changed my ip's and mask add's in all appropriate places (i think)

i watch activity lights on my hub and modem and i can see that when i try
to ping my isp's gateway
from my other machine it looks like my modem is xmitting and recieving, but
nothing comes through
the hub i don't know

i would like to know how i can test xmit and recieve between the xl0 and
the rl0 and then where else
are there natd rules

i'm getting frustrated