Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 18:36:01 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        Todd Reed <ex279@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backup Procedures

Todd Reed wrote:

> How do others backup their system?  I mean, do you kick off all users,
> deny logins, or does the system get backed up while users are logged
> in and working?
>
> What are the procedures?

The complete answer can be found within
*Unix**Backup* & Recovery. By W. Curtis Preston, ISBN: 1-56592-642-0

The short story is: depends. To backup web servers, dump will do online
during the night, given you can live with the occasional file not backed
up ('cause it changes while it's written). To backup mission-critical
boxes, you have to get creative: mirror the disks, break the mirror,
backup the offline disks; have a DB dump, get oracle to do its backup
job... there are many possibilities.

dump & restore work on online volumes too. Files which are not open will
get backed up all the time, open files only if they do not change during
the backup.

HTH
-Christoph Sold