Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 16:56:52 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        "J.A. Terranson" <measl@mfn.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unable to boot/mount root to fixit.

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 04:18:51PM -0600, J.A. Terranson wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> 	I know *what* I did, and I knew I shouldn't have done it from
> prior experience, but, being 1/2 asleep...
>
> 	cd /
> 	chflags -R schg *
>
> 	I am no longer able to boot this box: it hangs when trying to
> mount /dev/ad0s1e.

The device is now immutable. Hard to mount an immutable device
read-write.

> Even worse, I am unable to mount from the fixit to try
> and undo my mistake. I get an invalid super block error when trying to:
>
> 	mount /dev/ad0s1 /mnt
> 	         or
> 	mount /dev/ad0s2 /mnt, etc...

Is that a typo or did you actually try that? You want to mount,

  # mount /dev/ad0s1a /mnt
                    ^
Of course.

> 	I am in the process o rebuilding the box in question, as I don't
> have time to play with it, but I am curious if anyone knows (1) why
> chflaging from the root breaks everything,

Making the device nodes immutable will cause breakage.

> and (2) any way I could have
> recovered from this?

You were on the right track. Boot fixit.flp, mount the root partition
of the disk (using the correct name ;) and,

 # chflags -R noschg /mnt

You could repeat for the other partitions from fixit.flp, or boot off
of the HDD into single-user at this point.