Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 16:45:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Directories not VMIO cached at all!

    Ack!  I would not apply that patch to the 2.2.x tree.  I recommend you
    back it out.  It probably didn't work because you didn't make all
    the necessary changes, but I have not researched what changes would be
    necessary to make it work for 2.2.x.  While conceptually simple, it
    would be fairly dangerous to just patch it into 2.2.x without a
    considerable amount of testing.

    Also, the test you are running is not going to time directory lookups
    very well because you are exec'ing 'grep' for each file.  Try doing
    the find and redirecting to /dev/null.  Like this:

	time find -x /usr/src > /dev/null
	time find -x /usr/src > /dev/null
	time find -x /usr/src > /dev/null

    (But you still may not see an improvement)

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>

:I tried to apply your patch to FreeBSD 2.2.8.  I only made changes to file
:vfs_subr.c (vfs_object_create()) and vfs_vnops.c (vn_open()) because I can
:not find the corresponding places in file vfs_lookup.c and vfs_syscalls.c.
:
:After this, I made a new kernel and reboot.  I issue the following
:command:
:
: # find /usr/src -name "*.?" -exec grep "dummy" /dev/null {} \;
:
:It takes about five minutes as it did before I modified the kernel and
:reboot.  So obviously the modifications I made are not enough.  I should
:change something else to really use it.  Can you please tell me where to
:look at in 2.2.8? Somewhere in namei()?
:
:I believe your idea is a good one because it may help to solve the
:directory layout problem when you do depth-first search of directories (as
:in find?).  The reason I need it now is that each time I spend 5 minutes
:to search for a symbol in the source code tree under /usr/src.
:
:Thanks for your help.
:
:-Zhihui