Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 21:42:45 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cron Problem

Quoting Allen Landsidel <all@biosys.net>:
 [000921 12:25]:
#>At 12:14 09/21/2000 +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
#>>can anyone kindly point me to any reason why cron seems to be asleep in my
#>>systems -4.1-STABLE?
#>>No periodic processes are being run.
#>>
#>>Here are the messages I got for last night.
#>>
#>>Sep 21 03:00:02 alouette squid[283]: storeDirClean:
#>>/usr/local/squid/cache/08/71
#>>: (23) Too many open files in system
#>
#>Already, right there...
#>
#>You've got something opening up too many file descriptors.. keep in mind
#>"file descriptors" on unix means not just any file, but anything that is
#>accessed as a file.
#>

Still my cron won't run. As I mentioned, I really suspect the mergemaster
that I ran after cvsup. If the periodics are not being run, does it not
also mean that my cron could be dead? Or should I suspect anything else?

Thanks

--
Odhiambo Washington
Systems Administrator

A woman of generous character will sacrifice her life a thousand times over
for her lover, but will break with him for ever over a question of pride --
for the opening or the shutting of a door. -Stendhal