Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 17:48:34 -0800
From:      "Kevin Eastman" <kevin@midnightfire.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Firewall and Socks5

 Help!! I am trying to setup my FreeBSD 2.2.7 box to act as a
firewall between my local lan and my dial up isp via ppp. I would
like the Win98 systems on the lan to communicate to the internet
via socks5 on the firewall. I would like to telnet to the firewall from
the lan, but only from 204.244.109.4 on the internet. I have disabled
all daemons except for telnetd in inetd. I have the socks5 server
from NEC installed. My problem is that my win98 systems will not
talk to socks5 unless I specifically tell the program to specifically
do so. I need to be able to do it transparently as I have some
winsock software that does not have built in proxy support. Unless
I leave "ipfw add 65000 pass all from any to any" in rc.firewall, the
pop3 software etc. are all denied. Can anyone offer any
suggestions?

Kind Regards
Kevin Eastman