Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:47:17 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Forrest" <praxis@techpraxis.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Samba encrypted passwords and question to Ted Mittelstaedt...

Yes, that's correct, all the script does is populate the smbpasswd password
file from the system password with the usernames, it can't insert the
crypted
password becuase there's no way to go backwards from the UNIX crypted
passwords.

You probably want to rename 'passwd' to 'passwd.old' and make a softlink
from 'smbpasswd' to 'passwd' so that you don't forget in the future.