Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2013 13:21:36 +0400
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ipfilter pre-Vendor Import Issue

On Mon, Jul 08, 2013 at 01:00:02PM -0700, Cy Schubert wrote:
C> > The BSD license allows us to put the code into FreeBSD w/o any separation.
C> >
C> > So the question is: what is more handy to us?
C> >
C> > What do we actually gain having contrib/ipf, assuming we got vendor branch
C> > already?
C> >
C> > What we lose is:
C> > - more complex Makefiles
C> > - more complex hacking: edit files in one place, run make in other
C>
C> How is this for a plan?
C>
C> Instead of importing the kernel bits into vendor-sys/ipfilter and the
C> userland bits into vendor/ipfilter, the base tarball should be imported
C> into vendor-sys/ipfilter (or vendor/ipfilter, doesn't matter which). We
C> keep the complete tarball imported into one place in the tree.

I'd prefer vendor/ipfilter as single place of vendor imports.

C> Merge ipfilter into sys/netpfil/ipfilter (for kernel bits) and
C> netpfil/ipfilter (for userland bits).
C>
C> We should probably think of moving pf and ipfw into the new subdirectory as
C> well, but that's for a future discussion.

No, userland tools should be placed in bin|sbin|usr.bin|usr.sbin,
according to the place where they are installed. An exlusion can be made
adding a intermediate subdir (like this is already done for ipfilter tools),
to group all related tools together.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.