Date:      Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:42:21 -0700
From:      bmah@CA.Sandia.GOV (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Stephen <5tephen@linuxstart.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: defrag the partitions

--==_Exmh_-1569397830P

If memory serves me right, Stephen wrote:
> ello
> After i install and reboot up my system, then show me the message
> /dev/rwd0a: clean 8604 free (108 frags, 2124 blocks, 0.7% fragmentation)
> /dev/rwd0s2f: clean 21384 free (148 frags, 5309 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation)
> /dev/rwd0s2e: clean 12934 free (70 frags, 3216 blocks, 0.5% fragmentation)
> what is the meaning of frags?

With respect to the Berkeley Fast File System (which is what FreeBSD
uses), a fragment is a small part of a block, where a block is usually
8K and a fragment is usually 1K.  The FFS algorithms try to allocate
disk space in terms of 8K blocks, but they'll allocate 1K fragments for
small files or small parts of files.

Note that the words "block" and "fragment" above have different
meanings than in the MS-DOS world.

> and how to do defrag the above partitions?

You don't need to worry about this.  "Fragmentation" also means
something different with FreeBSD than it does with MS-DOS.  Invoking
much hand-waving, FreeBSD is more intelligent about how it places data
on disk than MS-DOS is.

(If you look through the mailing list archives, someone has given a more
detailed explanation than this, if you're interested.)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1569397830P

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBN2KqDKjOOi0j7CY9AQHOhwP/UOT0/jSxv+Qo6QyfKMLhKVAmMXpMcbUQ
Ho9xeltqNpGc0YysYJjG/hsYBhqJNrXOsAJXPBiQ65/nI/PsGts91S5woJSvjfCA
7NvTgOAUXxT/BPdu85bCUnS1sgRlTh2EiFKP6/E6aGzyqEzBysZrh4AC18FwLNs2
NiME+HU67to=
=wUcL
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

--==_Exmh_-1569397830P--