Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 12:03:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   New hdd purchase recommendations

Hello -scsi:

This is probably a faq but I haven't found in archives lately.

What makes/models of scsi (u160, maybe 320) hdds "play nicely"
(or not) with FreeBSD nowadays?

Over the years I've had good experience with both Seagate &
IBM (& with their service, when necessary).  These have
been 4.5 & 9gb, all 7200rpm.  The IBM units have seemed
to run somewhat cooler.

So nowadays, in, say, 9-36gb 7200/10k rpm drives, what
are good to seek out (& what to avoid)?  I guess critera
would be *reliability* & "cool running" (which are closely
related, I'd guess ;).  Nowadays, I'm guessing things
like speed would be roughly the same within a particular
type/capacity (i.e. rpm/capacity)?

Please cc me any replies; I guess I could summarize to
the list if deemed appropriate.

Thanks,

-kc