Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:41:48 -0400
From:      Jud <Jud@operamail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Newbie - Install New (Linux?) Audio Drivers?

Have had FreeBSD 4.1 installed for a bit over a month now; my first Unix.
Have installed some packages - XFree86 4.0.1 a couple of nights ago was my
first successful upgrade of installed software.  Have compiled & installed
custom kernel a number of times.  So that's the general state of my "skill
level."

I have a SB PCI 16 sound card (sold OEM in some Gateway boxes as SB PCI 64D,
a/k/a Ensoniq Audio PCI or something like that).  Get constant bkgd
static-type noise, which can be minimized by fiddling with speaker wires but
never goes away.  Also, moving my cursor makes a sound like a small motorboat.

Would a different audio driver help?  I've been looking at ALSA and OSS stuff
for Linux.  Will Linux drivers work with FreeBSD?  Where should a new audio
driver be installed?

Or is the solution a lot simpler and more basic?

TIA,

Jud