Date:      22 Jun 1999 12:15:37 +0300
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        Andres <dae@via.ecp.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xmms

Andres <dae@via.ecp.fr> writes:

> sorry to bother you a bit more with this, but i've got another question.
> does it work flawlessly? i removed linuxthreads on my system, then
> recompiled every related thing, then tried it (xmms compiled without a
> glitch, btw).
> and it plays mp3 quite fine, but the graphical part (another thread)
> doesn't seem very responsive. it takes sometimes a few seconds until it
> gets updated or until it responds to one of my commands.

That might be due to the fact that FreeBSD threads are not real
threads, yet...at least if you're using VoxWare.

The VoxWare API is awful.  It's almost as bad as the implementation.
Non-blocking behavior must be set using SNDCTL_DSP_NONBLOCK, the
O_NONBLOCK flag is ignored.  The thread library wants file descriptors
to be non-blocking, but it expects it to be able to set them using the
normal mechanism...

The new 'pcm' drivers obey O_NONBLOCK, so if you're using them, the
problem is somewhere else.

Note that I haven't tested or looked at xmms, so the problem could be
somewhere else, in any case.