Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 17:32:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Directories not VMIO cached at all!

Matthew Dillon wrote:

[cvsupd on freefall]
>:Do you think it would help?
>
>     Yes, but you can't apply the VMIO fix to the 3.x tree if you are also
>     using NFS.  NFS will barf on it.  I believe my patch to NFS that solves
>     the VMIO problem can be backported to -3.x, though, if you want to try
>     the combination.

That's OK -- I was thinking longer term.  I wouldn't want to mess
with freefall until the code had had more time in current, anyway.

>     At a rough guess, there are 2800 directories in the CVS tree.

Heh -- I bet you didn't count the ports tree. :-) When I last counted
(a few months ago), the repository as a whole had 48,500 files in
12,900 directories, totaling 564 MB of space.  I'm sure it has grown
since then (egcs plus the ports team's usual 8000 ports per month).
The vast majority of directories are in the ports tree, and they're
very small.  I don't know whether that makes a difference or not
with regard to the VMIO fix.

If I can figure out a way to do a realistic test here locally, I'll
try it out.

John
---
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong