Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 1996 16:47:33 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About to make the jump to -current...

Warner Losh stands accused of saying:

> I want to build a -current kernel on a -stable system.  Is that a
> reasonable thing to do?  Will the resulting kernel work with -stable
> binaries?  Will I need to build the config out of -current in order to
> configure the kernel, or will the one in -stable be good enough?

You'll have lots of trouble 8(

What you _can_ do is cheat lots.  IIRC, you run an all-SCSI system.
Scrounge a small (<100M is fine) IDE disk, and put a filesystem on it.
Make it a root filesystem (/bin, /dev and friends) and populate it
with hand-build -current binaries.  (Not too hard, but you may have
fun with /usr/include/* and /usr/lib/*).

Then frob your BIOS settings to boot from your new root filesystem, and
mount your old /usr and such.  You may want to do a few other 'magic'
things with symlinks to frob /usr/include to suit the system's
current 'personality', or move it to the root filesystem and symlink
/usr/include to /include.

There are lots of rude things like this that are totally unsuitable for
general use that can be done in a situation like yours; I'm sure some
of the real oldsters here can think of more 8)

You will need a -current 'config' to config a -current kernel.

> Also, if I upgrade to -current, would it be good enought to grab
> jordan's next snapshot and just extract all the binaries from it onto
> my system and reboot with a -current kernel?  Or is there a painless
> upgrade option in the snapshot?

You could use this technique to bootstrap your new root filesystem -
pull apart the bindist bits to get everything that belongs in / rather
than hand-build them.

> Warner

A question for the wise kernel people - how did the NetBSD folks do their
variant symlink stuff?  I was pondering the possibilities of performing
'magic' translations of symlink destination components based on sysctl
variables.  Erk, here's a sample :

Symlink /usr/include to /usr/include.$PERSONALITY$

sysctl -w symlink.translation.PERSONALITY="current"

Obviously not a trick for everyday use, but of immense versatility.
Adding per-process translation overrides would be even More Magic.  (but
possibly a Bad Idea).