Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 10:26:37 +1000 (EST)
From:      Nicholas Brawn <ncb@zip.com.au>
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Jason Young <doogie@anet-stl.com>, cjclark@home.com, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secure Deletion

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Robert Watson wrote:

> On a related noted, Ross Anderson and others wrote a paper on
> steganographic file systems
>
> http://www.ftp.cl.cam.ac.uk/ftp/users/rja14/sfs3.ps.gz
>
> That is, file systems intended to hide even the presence of files if the
> user is not authorized, cryptographically.  Ross has suggested I port the
> linux code to FreeBSD while I'm at Cambridge for the next few weeks.
> Given the backlog of Posix.1e stuff, I may not get around to it, but it's
> an interesting concept.

I pondered a similar idea a while back. However I was curious of how to
address a situation like the following:

user 'a' creates "myfile" in /tmp.
user 'b' is perusing /tmp, and decides to create a file called "myfile".

What is the response at this stage? Does the OS tell 'b' that their
permission is denied, resulting in a potential for bruteforcing the
existance of hidden files? Alternatively, you could allow 'b' to create
"myfile", and have a psuedo file system that is only makes files created
available to owners of the file, but allowing multiple occurences of
"myfile" to exist in the same logical file system. But then you'd have to
think about how you could make files available to others.

Nick